[Dixielandjazz] the "trio" in Ragtime?

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 9 09:48:44 PDT 2008

     The 'trio' section of a ragtime piece may refer to the "song and
trio" form that many marches and other musical compositions use.  The
"second strain" of a march is frequently in a key with one more flat
than the first strain, and in fact is even labeled 'Trio' sometimes.
Many ragtime pieces are based on the form commonly used in marches.
     The "song and trio" term is based on the classical ternary form
of A - B - A, where the B section was often played by a trio of
instruments, from Lully's practice of having two oboes and a bassoon
play the second of two dances.
     But but but, you say, a march has only two parts, not three.
Well, i say, the original practice for marches was to repeat the
opening strain after playing the trio.  In fact, you can hear Sousa
and his band (as was as other bands) do this in early recordings of
marches: they do a D.C. and play the first strain again.
     Your graded blue books will be handed back in a week.

     Dr. Augustine

--
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**  "The less a science is advanced, the more its terminology tends
**   to rest on an uncritical assumption of mutual understanding."
**             -- Willard V. Quine in _Word and Object_