[Dixielandjazz] July 4th Gigs

budtuba at aol.com budtuba at aol.com
Mon Jul 7 09:53:01 PDT 2008

 Careful Steve,

Standing is almost as bad as marching....

We have a long standing annual private gig for the date.

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band
Trad Jazz since 1958...we ain't just whistling dixie!

On Jul 6, 2008, at 3:49 AM,Gordon of Northridge wrote:?
?

> GWW174 at aol.com?

>?

> Nothing more patriotic than America's musical herietage..... aka > dixieland,?

> jazz,swing, ragtime,  etc....?

>?

> Did anyone out there in DLML land try and capitalize on this and > play any?

> gigs at parades... carnivals... fire works events... Would seem that > there were?

> lot's of opportunities out there on this very civic patiotic day.?
?

Hi Gordon:?
?

Here in the Philadelphia area, just about every Dixieland band I know of played at least one gig on July 4. Many did parades, some, like mine did private party celebrations, some did pre-fireworks concerts. Very jazzy day here, perhaps because Philly is often thought of as the cradle of liberty and there are lots of opportunities for bands that play "America's Music".?
?

We don't do parades anymore as it is usually too damn hot and humid in this area and as we age, we try not to overdo it.?
?

We have a long standing annual private gig for the date. We used to do a couple more, but because of our ages, and following day schedule this year, we cut back.?
?

The next day,  July 5th, we did 2 OKOM weddings for a total of 10 hours playing time. Damn near killed us.?
?

Cheers,?

Steve Barbone?

www.barbonestreet.com?