[Dixielandjazz] Bugles & Bugling Sam DeKemel

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Sun Jul 6 05:33:53 PDT 2008

DEKEMEL, Mathew "Buglin' Sam"   (de Kemal)  Bugle
1903, Jan 15: New  Orleans     1967, Jan 6
Full name: Mathew Antoine  Desiré Dekemel, known as "Buglin' Sam, the Waffle
Man" .He was taught to play by  his grandmother, and he was the last of a long
line of family members selling  waffles on the street. A painting of his four
wheeled cart showed it bore the  legend, "Fleur du Cap Self-Raising Flour"
and underneath "Hot Waffles 4 for 5c".  His specialty was playing jazz tunes on
a regulation army bugle and he was  featured for years in Tony Almerico's band
on the Parisian Room broadcasts and  was often recorded. Tom Stagg says the
name is pronounced "Decker-mell". See  also Thomas Morris Nicholson.
NICHOLSON, Morris Thomas "Great  Scot"   Soprano, military and baritone bugles
1915, Penna,  PA
Whilst sifting through the treasure trove of historical detritus at  Tulane,
the indefatigable Kevin Herridge, stringer extraordinaire, came across  the
following in the New Orleans 1972 AFM union roll: Morris Thomas Nicholson -
Soprano, military & baritone bugles - Professional name "Great Scot" Jazz
Bugler; b. Jun.2, 1915, Penna, PA. In 1972 he was living at 3316 Garden Oaks Dr.
#142, Algiers; approved Apr.11, 1972. And there was me thinking a bugle was a
bugle was a bugle, to echo Gertrude Stein. I think we should suggest to Bruce
Raeburn that a paper on the history of Jazz Bugling in New Orleans with
particular reference to Buglin' Sam and Great Scot is long overdue!

Brian Wood: The Song for Me