[Dixielandjazz] Raymond Burke

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 14:53:52 PDT 2008

Hello,
Having just listened - again, of course - to Ray Burke's Speakeasy
Boys LP I was so moved that I immediately decided to order Raymond
Burke's Crescent City Music from the GHB Foundation.
By the way, Ray Burke's Speakeasy Boys has been reissued on CD
(American Music AMCD 47), expanded with unissued material to 22
numbers, as compared with 12 on the LP.  If you do not insist on "the
perfect record" (a recent subject on the list), but rather are
prepared to put up with backgroud hiss (the one number with George
Hartman is apparently extremenly rare, and the duets with Woodrow
Russell seem to be taken from a demo record made in 1945), it's weel
worth your while.  Very interesting racially mixed recordings made in
the days when mixing races on stage in New Orleans could land you in
jail (as weel remembered by the cornet player Charlie deVore).
I know, we should support live jazz, but we should not forget the old masters.
My personal favourite is Savoy Blues.
Cheers