[Dixielandjazz] Albert system

OArkas at aol.com OArkas at aol.com
Thu Jul 3 13:16:02 PDT 2008

In a message dated 7/3/08 11:42:13 AM, ballen at deltapathology.com writes:

> Is it true Woody Allen plays an Albert system horn? What difference if any
> do you think this makes to his style/sound?

Yes, Woody Allen plays Albert or Simple System clarinet.   Some people might
disagree, but there is a difference in the sounds of the Albert and Boehm
system clarinets.   Of course, I personally prefer the sound of the Albert.   You
should try one out yourself and see if you can notice the difference.
Another thing, though, is that some of the old timers used very open mouthpieces and
soft reeds.   I believe Willie Humphrey used a #1 reed.
John

John
oarkas at aol.com