[Dixielandjazz] Hot Dance

jazzchops at isp.com jazzchops at isp.com
Thu Jul 3 12:49:29 PDT 2008

Steve, I'm not really interested in how the term is used for popular music
today, nor am I interested in Carmen Electra or Brittany Spears. How
ridiculous to bring that into this discussion, which has NOTHING to do
with my post.

Way before Brittany and Carmen, the term was used, as I mentioned in my
solos. It's been used in that manner for decades. I have record albums
from the 1970s referring to the music using that term. Such titles as
"Rare Hot Dance Bands," "Dime Store Hot Dance," "Hot Dance Bands of the
1920s," etc.

No matter what you write, the music of the ODJB, King Oliver, was not
referred to at the time as "hot dance." It was either referred to as jazz
or as race music.

I did a little search on the Internet, just to make sure I'm not losing my
mind, and there are other people that use this term. Here's some quotes:

>From the Pasadena Roof Orchestra's website: "For over thirty years the
Pasadena Roof Orchestra, based in the UK, has delighted audiences all over
the world with its mix of swing and hot dance music."

Here's a website worth checking out: http://www.2multiples.com/hotdance/

Here's a quote from writer Scott Yanow regarding a CD by Isham Jones:
"Isham Jones, best-known as an important songwriter, led a series of
interesting bands during the 1920's and 30's. His 1929-31 edition
essentially played hot dance music..."

>From the SFLindyHop website: "The ten piece Royal Society Jazz Orchestra
plays authentic hot and sweet dance music of the 1920s and '30s..."

You wrote, "So the point I try and make is that those words, or "trad
jazz" or "hot dance" or whatever, are really meaningless." If there so
meaningless, why are they being used? They're being used to describe
different styles of music. They are just a useful as categories like New
Orleans jazz, Chicago jazz, etc. Seems to me if those terms are
meaningless, than the term dixieland must be, too.

Steve, you contribute a great amount of interesting and useful information
to the DJML. But I really don't understand what the point of your latest
post was. Was it to put me down, or show us how clever you are? I wrote
what I considered to be a thoughtful, intelligent explanation of the term
"hot dance music," What did you do? Did you contribute something useful?

Regards,
Chris Tyle