[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver recordings

Snogpitch snogpitch at prodigy.net
Wed Jan 30 16:50:26 PST 2008

Bob,

You didn't mention if you were playing 78s or 33 1/3, but I would almost bet
you were playing 78s.  Not all of those 10 inch recordings are to be played
back at true 78 speed.  Now if you were playing 33 1/3 recordings, the same
also could be a problem, if the studio wasn't careful to ensure proper transfer
speeds.

Equal in possibility is that your turntable speed needs adjustment.  Over the
years, my turntable kept getting slower and slower to my ear.  A strobe timing
on my turntable confirmed it.  Fortunately, my turntable has a pitch adjustment
to help.  But one day, I found it was turned as far as it could go, and it
still wasn't sounding right.  I found out inside the case were additional speed
adjustment screws.  With the aide of those, my turntable has the full range of
its pitch control again.  I am not sure why the turntable would go out of
pitch/speed over the years, but it did.  You would think an electrically
controlled direct drive mechanism would be immune to a problem such as this.

--- Robert Smith <robert.smith at tele2.no> wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody has done research into recording speeds as
> reproduced on vinyls. I've just transferred two King Oliver tunes to my PC
> for the weekly jazz programme that I run.
> I know that my record player plays a semitone flat, so I was surprised when
> "Alligator Hop" was in Bb after transfer. This would imply that the original
> was in the key of B - most unlikely. This tune was transferred from Riverside
> RLP 12-101.
> "Dippermouth Blues" also transferred in Bb, but I think this was originally
> recorded in the key of C. This was taken from the 10" Columbia 33S 1065.
>
> Any info, anybody?
>
> Bob Smith

David Witmer

AKA Snogpitch