[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver recordings

Phil Pospychala bixguy at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 30 16:29:13 PST 2008

I don't know if any facts can be established unless you transfer from an original issue 78.  I have yet to hear the new DVD on all of the Olivers from 1923 but I understand proper stylus usage was employed in each transfer.  I only play original issue 78s.  However, they say that DVD is the best sound we'll ever get.  Dave Sager was in on it.  The implication is record grooves were variable, especially in those days.  We have OKeh, Paramount, Gennett and Columbia to deal with.  I suspect transfers from 78s or 78 masters or stampers, to LPs, were even more variable and for more reasons.  Who knows the variables with LP to LP transfer?

If this isn't enough, most 78s should really be played at 80rpm.  I use a strobe machine from the 1960s.  Edison thought so and so do I.  Certain 78 paper sleeves advise to play at 80.  I have a Brunswick sleeve with that suggestion.  Also others.  All of this affects pitch, as we know.  I don't think LP companies knew this information.  And then we have 78 reissues from other 78 issues and tests and masters and stampers.

Might you give us a small plug for our Tribute to Bix fest in Racine, March 13-16?  See www.geocities.com/bixfest/ for more than you want to know.  19th annual event.  We'll be playing Oliver, Bix and everyone else in our all night original 78 record session on the night of Friday, March 14th.  Many, many thanks.> From: robert.smith at tele2.no> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:35:22 +0100> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] King Oliver recordings> CC: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com> To: bixguy at hotmail.com> > I was wondering if anybody has done research into recording speeds as reproduced on vinyls. I've just transferred two King Oliver tunes to my PC for the weekly jazz programme that I run.> I know that my record player plays a semitone flat, so I was surprised when "Alligator Hop" was in Bb after transfer. This would imply that the original was in the key of B - most unlikely. This tune was transferred from Riverside RLP 12-101.> "Dippermouth Blues" also transferred in Bb, but I think this was originally recorded in the key of C. This was taken from the 10" Columbia 33S 1065.> > Any info, anybody?> > Bob Smith> > > -- > Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.> Den har fjernet 1821 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.> Betalende brukere har ikke denne meldingen i e-postene sine.> Få tak i SPAMfighter gratis her: http://www.spamfighter.com/lno> _______________________________________________> To unsubscribe or change your e-mail preferences for the Dixieland Jazz Mailing list, or to find the online archives, please visit:> > http://ml.islandnet.com/mailman/listinfo/dixielandjazz> > > > Dixielandjazz mailing list> Dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com