[Dixielandjazz] Not quite OKOM "Train Song" info request FOUND

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 28 13:18:26 PST 2008

  David Richoux replied [snipped]:
> TITLE: WHAT THE ENGINE DONE
> ARTIST:
> COMPOSER: Les Copeland
> LYRICIST:  Les Copeland
> PUBLISHER: Remick Music Corp.
> COMMENTS: Originally copyrighted in 1911 : Jerome Remick & co.
> Transferred in 1928 to Remick Music Corp.
> Mentions the following he is trying to make connections with after the
> engine left New Orleans.
> Sante Fe, (Sunset Route).Old Red Light, M.K.T. ,Kansas Pass, C.&A.,Old
> Wabash, Jersey Central Line, Nickel Plate, Pennsylvnia Road,  Canon
> Ball,Missouri Pacific, Iron Mountain, Cotton Belt, LeHigh Valley, Old
> Grand Trunk, Boston and Main

Thanks Dave,
You've come good - again!
Sounds like OKOM to me.
With that lead, I have been able to establish the existence of, at
least, two early recordings of the song:
• Al Bernard, vocal with violin, guitar and accordion.
Recorded in New York on 23 Jan 1929 and released on Brunswick 4259 and
A8391

• Hank Smith, vocal with fiddle, trumpet and guitar.
Recorded in New York on 3 April 1929 and released on Vocalion 5318.

I wonder what Bob Newman was doing on those days?
Sorry Bob.
8>)      The debil made me do it.
Kind regards,
Bill.