[Dixielandjazz] lYDIA

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jan 28 10:44:25 PST 2008

Pat ---Not a good candidate for  a jazz treatment I would have thought.
Not suggesting that it can`t be done, but `Why?`

Absolutely true it ain't jazz but as someone else pointed out it's all about
entertainment.  I have made the transition, at least I hope I have, from
musician to entertainer who happens to play music.

I love jazz but I think you have to be entertaining too.  If that means
doing a funny song or tell a corny joke then I will do it.

The choice is actually between being able to even play or not play.  Without
being entertaining you don't get hired.  Eventually you just go away and you
don't exist.  What a familiar refrain.  "OKOM is going away".  I choose to
play and do MKOM.  I talked about momentum before and if all you do is music
then you lose it.

This doesn't come naturally to me and I have to work at it.  I think a lot
of musicians just don't want to put themselves out there and let it all hang
out.  I consider myself as a beginner in the entertainment field but even so
my bookings have increased considerably so something is going right.  That
means that I am making more money and I am getting to do what I like to do
and that is play music and perform.  Sounds like a win-win situation to me.
Larry
St. Louis