[Dixielandjazz] lYDIA

tduncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Sun Jan 27 06:41:01 PST 2008

Pat wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com] On Behalf Of pj.ladd
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 5:52 AM
To: Tom Duncan
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] lYDIA

 Has anyone got the lyrics to "Lydia the Tattooed Lady"? Never heard
> it by a Dixieland band, but why not?

Well, its a waltz to start with and there are not too many of those about in
jazz time. Secondly the words are everything, the tune is not up to much and
to get the words over clearly the speed must be held back. Not a good
candidate for  a jazz treatment I would have thought.
Not suggesting that it can`t be done, but `Why?`

Cheers

Pat

[Tom] We use this as a mid-set break because we have found that audiences
like it and it is truly a change of pace. It is a fun tune. We feature our
female pianist on this and she accompanies herself with the "boys in the
band" joining in on the interludes. It makes a great feature and set
breaker.

I also have the piano score with chords and lyrics which is what I sent to
Bert Joss off list.

Regards,

Tom