[Dixielandjazz] "Scratchy Gooves"- A new web site with classic music

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 17 12:33:13 PST 2008

List mates:

Bill Chambless, who passed away in 2003 hosted a program of classic jazz and
American Songbook music, "Scratchy Grooves", at the University of Delaware
Radio Station from 1984 until he died. He had a huge collection of old 78
records complete with hissing & popping.

Besides these classic sides, Bill also broadcast some of the local bands
including mine when we were just starting out. He was a good friend of OKOM.

His son John, the Arts Editor at the West Chester Daily Local, fell heir to
the tapes of the 90 minutes shows that were broadcast on WVUD FM. He has put
some of them on a web site for everyone to enjoy FREE, though you are
welcome to contribute to site maintenance.

While WVUD only had a small, local audience, because the signal did not
reach much past the Newark-Wilmington Delaware area, you can now hear them
via the internet. If interested, in these CLASSIC recordings go to:

http://www.scratchygrooves.com/

They are long files, some over 100 megabytes, and will play on Windows Media
Player, or as MP3s for those of us on Macs.

Rest in Peace Bill, you made lots of fans for both the music and for the
Barbone Street Jazz Band.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS to John Chambless: The DJML is a chat list of about 600 people worldwide
who enjoy Our Kind of Music (OKOM) I suspect they will love your site. Thank
you so much for making it available. Come see Barbone Street Jazz Band at
the West Chester Iron Hill on Fat Tuesday, Feb 5 from 6 to 9 PM. Or at
Swinging Thursday Nights in West Chester (Gay & Church Streets) from 6:30 to
9:30 on June 5. We expect a bunch of our swing dance fans to whoop it up on
both occasions.