[Dixielandjazz] The Clarinet in Jazz

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 15 14:29:55 PST 2008

Hi Phil and List mates:

I always kind of liked the Woody Allen Film background music and of course
films like Aviator which have Vince Giordano's band playing the period
music.

I agree musicians should listen to period music if they are going to play
it. Also agree that musicians should listen to classical music because
that's what many of the early jazzers were listening to. Like Bechet/Caruso
or  Armstrong/Herbert Clarke (as well as Caruso) And, then if you continue
the logic, we should listen to those who Caruso and Clarke listened to.

For example Armstrong's West End Blues cadenza 1928 seems to have something
in common with Clarke's Showers of Gold Scherzo 1912. Who mentored Clarke?

So much music to hear, so little time.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

on 1/15/08 12:30 PM, Phil Pospychala at bixguy at hotmail.com wrote:

>We think John Otto is among the best at handling 1920s phrasing and tone.  He's
>played in most of my prior 18 Tribute to Bix fests.  John also does a damn good
BG >gig although it's not my bag.  Shouldn't musicians listen to the old 78s
or at least >reissues in various formats?  It's not to dupe exactly but to
have the correct feel for >authentic 1920s sound.  I lthink this is the most
significant reason most every >Hollywood movie never has the period music
right.  I've noted the music is still >wrong although a good contemporary
trad band is used.  They have to play out of >period tunes.   Has John ever
been asked to play background stuff in a 1920s or 30s fi>lm?  I'll have to
ask him.