[Dixielandjazz] PRO - drums

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jan 15 10:17:00 PST 2008

Absolutely true and if you have a good drummer he is worth his weight in
gold but there's the catch.  There are so few guys like him around.  They
tend to cluster around the guys that they like or will give them a lot of
gigs.  Here they have a bad habit that's not exclusive to drummers in that
they won't play with certain other musicians or want too much money or they
would rather do whatever.  I guess my attitude is go practice in your
basement because I don't have time for it.

As I said before, computers keep getting better and computerized music keeps
getting better.  A former student of mine was an
outstanding drummer before switching to piano so he knows drumming.  He uses
a drum machine and he programs that thing to where you just about can't
tell.  He uses a very good sound system too so it sounds good.

I guess all things considered if I can't have a good drummer I would rather
have a good machine.   It makes a difference but if the difference is
between playing the job without a drummer or not playing the gig at all then
my desire to have a drummer evaporates.

I play a large number of gigs without a rhythm section at all.  Am I to be a
purist and not work those jobs and drop back to 10 or 15% of the gigs I play
now?

The question is, if a $300 job comes in do I take my big band and pay
everyone $30 or $35 and not make enough to cover expenses or do I hire a
couple of horn players and pay them $75 and make $150 for myself or better
still go out as a duo and pay $100 to my sideman and take $200 for myself?
I could tell the client I need $500 for the gig and he could tell me
goodbye.

I guess I consider drummers, piano players and bass men to be
expendable just as they have always considered me.  For the last 50 years
when a gig came to my piano playing friends and the money wasn't really good
they didn't call me but worked it as a trio or duo.  Technology has reversed
that.  Technology is that 500 lb gorilla in the room.  It's getting hard to
ignore.

I don't believe that I have put out of business a single rhythm player or
taken any gigs from them (well maybe the bad ones) but rather created better
paying jobs for myself and other horn players that didn't exist before.

The customer is making the choices here.  I charge anywhere between $40 and
$65 more to play than keyboard players doing singles charge and am right in
the ball park for other duo groups but I do them as a single.  Since I am
generally higher in price than my competition I can only conclude that they
like what I am doing and they could care less about the "canned" nature of
it all.

Like every musician, I love a good rhythm section that cooks and I play
better too but I'm not about to go out of business either.  I feel that I am
doing something that others can emulate, in no matter what size town or how
crappy the market is for music, and be successful with it.
Larry
St. Louis