[Dixielandjazz] PRO - drums

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 14:33:46 PST 2008

Hello Larry,
The drummer in question - Arele Kaminsky - knows what he is doing!
Although basically a "bopper and beyond," he is also one of the best
Dixieland drummers in this country!
As to the drummer's being necessary, the "Hot Five" had noo drummer,
and neither had Turk Murphy.
Personally, I do not like synthesized drums.  I've heard them many
times, and they sound rather mechanical (but so do many real
drummers).  A good drummer listens and interacts with the band, and it
shows in the sound.  This, of course, is a listener's point of view
(subjective!).
Cheers