[Dixielandjazz] "Nice Work If You Can Get It"

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Sat Jan 12 17:03:04 PST 2008

Hi Bill. In case it will help, I replaced your verse with that done in my
usual style (uses |||  /// codes to phrase the lyrics re the measures in
the music), which is taken from "George Gershwin Fake Book".

Fred Astaire recorded it, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't do the verse.
I'd be much more surprised if Ella Fitzgerald didn't include it in her
"George and Ira Gershwin Songbook" version.

Pasadena Roof Orch in their CD "Here & now".

I don't have access to any of these here in my Augean orifice.

Cheers, beers, dears, leers, no tears.
--Sheik

> Dear friends,
> I've given up and require help.
> I need to hear the verse to "Nice Work If You Can Get It" (1937.
> Gershwin-Gershwin).
> There are literally 100s of recorded versions to choose from, but in
> 'lucky-dipping' my extensive collection, I have yet to find one.
> Will someone please point me in the right direction.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

Verse:
The man who only lives for   making money
   lives a life that isn't    necessarily sunny.
Likewise the man who   works for fame,/
   there's no guarantee that   time won't erase his   name.///
|The fact is   the only work that really
   brings enjoyment   is the kind that is for
Girl and boy meant.   Fall in love, you won't regret it
   that's the best work of   all if you can   get it.//   /|