[Dixielandjazz] Online Digital Sales - CDbaby & Tunecore

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Sat Jan 12 13:06:37 PST 2008

I know Steve has  mentioned this before, but this will give a bit more depth
and it fits in with  the "series" I am posting.

I have been  investigating online digital sales for some time and I spent a
great deal of  time studying the following before taking action myself.

With the way the  internet and music playing devices are evolving, the
delivery of media via the  internet digitally is where it's at and where it's going.
ALL media, not just  music.

It's important to understand, up front, that your success online MAY, and
probably will  depend upon your exploitation of the technology, but then again,
you might get  lucky too. After all, unlike past history with big media, labels
and marketing  & huge investments, today's playing field is really level for
all and much  of it is free, or at very little cost.

There are two (maybe more that I'm  not aware of) major aggregators (online
digital distributors)  available.

1. CDbaby.com  (  my CDbaby URL is    http://cdbaby.com/cd/billsargentbands  )

and

2.  Tunecore.com

These two will take your CD and digitally distribute it to  all the main
digital stores online, like iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, eMusic, etc.  etc.

Tunecore gives you 100% of the profit they receive from the digital  stores
(after they've taken their commission). but, you have to convert your  media
(CD) to the files they require (not mp3), they have a very limited list of
outlets the distribute to, and you pay an annual fee (about $20, I think) for
them carrying your CD. They distribute digitally only.

CDbaby, really has  it all put together, and put together well.

Go here, so you can see what  I'm talking about:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/billsargentbands

1. They  distribute, not only digitally, but warehouse and deliver your
hard-copy  CDs.

2. They do all the preparation work for you: digitize your tracks  & your
artwork. They actually listen to your CD too!

3. They  distribute to a very long, extensive list of digital distribution
outlets.

4. They also distribute hard copy to a major national  distributor for
distribution in retail brick & mortar stores.

5. They  give you a website, storefront, from which your CD can be bought in
mp3 form.  You can also display as much copy and info about your band, your CD
and anything  else you deem worthy. You can also provide links to your
official website here.  You can control and change the copy at any time.

6. They handle  international sales well.

7. You set your own prices for everything. They  get $4 for each hard-copy CD
sold. They get 9% of all digital sales. For  external outlets, that would be
9% of the net.

8. You pay a one-time fee  of $35 for them to carry your CD for life. I got
my account for FREE, and I'll explain why  & how in another post.

9. Their payment system to you is the best  anywhere.

CDbaby really knows their stuff and has our best interest at  heart and in
their actions. Their track record speaks for itself.

There  are 3 CDbaby sites:

1. CDbaby.com   -  This is their  consumer retail store.
2. CDbaby.net   -  This is the Artist's  site for us to set-up & manage
everything.
3. CDbaby.org    -  This is their forum area where you get advice and educate
 yourself.

One more thing, you can actually talk with live people there.  Their support
is very good.

I have ordered CDs from them and I've been  nothing but totally impressed!

Next up, how I got CDbaby for  free plus DigStation & other online music
sales &  widgets.
Bill
414-777-0100
BillSargentBands.com

Just released:  "The Best Of Bill Sargent Bands - Volume 1"

Available at:  http://billsargentbands.com/recordings.htm