[Dixielandjazz] Applause in Concert Venues

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Thu Jan 10 21:52:31 PST 2008

Steve writes:

"Oscar Peterson did not have that problem. Those who have his DVD, "One
Night
In Vienna" can attest to his walking on stage at the Vienna Musikverien in
2003 and getting a standing ovation from the very upscale audience, just for
walking on stage. This was after his stroke when he was both walking slowly
and not playing as well has he had been in the 1990s.

I have since passed the DVD on to a list mate, but remember that opening
standing ovation for this giant of the piano, and the standing ovation at
the end of the concert which was also incredible.

The solos were extraordinary, but I can't remember whether they were
applauded by the audience or not. I think they were applauded quite
enthusiastically. Perhaps a list mate who has this DVD will confirm my
memory, or not?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

-Steve got the overall intent of the crowd just about right...
--OP's entrance was greeted with very loud clapping and cheering, but the
audience appeared to be seated  (Not QUITE all the way warmed up yet!)
-The solos were wonderful, and were applauded very
enthusiastically....again, still seated.  But definitely enthusiastic and
getting louder.
-And yes, after the encore--which was demanded by a LOT of clapping and
cheering, that very staid crowd DID cut loose and stand up-even whistled and
hollered, then got even louder and started clapping in a very "demanding"
1-2 rhythm...and cheered even louder.  Sounded like they might have been
stamping their feet, too.

That is such a marvelous DVD....It's been a few months since I've watched
it....the intensity of  all four of the artists is a pleasure in itself to
watch....I can see the "reels" spinning in their heads....the music and the
internal stories.....loved it!

Thanks, Steve.......

Jane Lynch
Janie39 at socal.rr.com