[Dixielandjazz] Applause in Concert Venues

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 10 18:39:38 PST 2008

Lowell Busching <verbose at daktel.com> wrote (polite snip)

> I am not sure I agree on the poster who mentioned trying to loosen up
> normally classical audiences when a jazz band is playing a classical
> venue. Perhaps in hopes of soliciting applause for solos? I think the
> applause, if any, then becomes even more phony as Bob Ringwald alluded to.

Oscar Peterson did not have that problem. Those who have his DVD, "One Night
In Vienna" can attest to his walking on stage at the Vienna Musikverien in
2003 and getting a standing ovation from the very upscale audience, just for
walking on stage. This was after his stroke when he was both walking slowly
and not playing as well has he had been in the 1990s.

The concert was a gala 175th Anniversary event sponsored by Bosendorfer
featuring OP. Recorded live at the Musikverien, Goldener Saal in 2003 with N
H O Pederson, bass; Ulf Wakenius, guitar, Martin Drew, drums.

I have since passed the DVD on to a list mate, but remember that opening
standing ovation for this giant of the piano, and the standing ovation at
the end of the concert which was also incredible.

The solos were extraordinary, but I can't remember whether they were
applauded by the audience or not. I think they were applauded quite
enthusiastically. Perhaps a list mate who has this DVD will confirm my
memory, or not?

As for us mere mortals who have neither giant status, nor charisma, if we
learn how to work the audience, we will get applause. If we ignore the
audience, they will stop applauding.

On the other hand, sometimes people don't applaud because they are stunned
by the magnitude of the communication. Lincoln's Gettysburg address is a
good example. No applause according to historians.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone