[Dixielandjazz] Re - Audience Noise During Concerts

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jan 9 12:05:25 PST 2008

This apparently seeks to stamp out the practice of applauding jazz solos
because they can spoil the first notes of the following solo. Whilst I agree
with that to a certain extent, to have no feedback would surely be a
sterilising process?
Comments anyone?
Brian Harvey

I'll comment!  We do clubs more than concerts.  The concerts we do are
normally for city hall sponsored culture programs....meaning not necessarily
jazz enthusiasts.  I usually have to coach them a little on responding to a
solo if they particularly liked it, and I always add what they shouldn't do
if it wasn't liked (just for a laugh).  This usually breaks the ice, and
everyone is very enthusiastic after my little speech.

Clubs:  chatter is a normal part of clubs.  I never expect complete silence,
although we do often get it on a particularly quiet song.  I like the
overall murmur in a club.  I like to see people enjoying their evening.

I also like applause between solos, particularly if one just played an
unusually good solo.  Normally, though, applause comes from "showy" solos
rather than musically well-constructed solos, so I really don't gauge
anything by the applause.

So, the first few bars are covered by applause.  Big deal!  Get too carried
away with all of this, and we'll be looking with an evil eye at someone who
has just coughed!  :>

Jim