[Dixielandjazz] bending notes on clarinet

Tito Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Mon Jan 7 11:02:57 PST 2008

Dear Zach

The whole Barbone post is extremelly valuable, especially about
half/quarter tones- blue notes.
He knows the trade.
Otherwise, about glissando/slides, you may want to check
http://www.dailymotion.com/titomartino/video/x3hadi_5-tito-martino-1983-with-the-tradit
where ROSE ROOM leads to a duel between drums trying to sing a melody
and clarinet trying to beat rhythms.  Clarinet finishes the duel with a
"slide" ("portamento") from (concert)F to high Bb, not at all usual in
that instrument!   If you get interested how I did it, please send a
mail to me I will be pleased to explain the "secret"...
cheers -  and stay close to Dodds, he is the King !

Tito Martino

Barbone says:
Dear Zach

After you check your horn as Jim O'Briant suggested, you might want to check
out the below web sites before you think about a new horn.

http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2106.html

It talks about bending notes upward, more of a gliss than a bend.

Or: See this at http://www.playmusic.org/woodwinds/more/moreclarinet.html

"One technique clarinetists often use is called "bending" notes. This means
varying the air pressure on the reed and partly covering tone holes to
change pitch. This is especially useful in jazz solos! In fact, clarinets
are as common in jazz bands as in orchestras."

Or see:

http://clarinet.cc/archives/2007/11/a_few_notes_for.html

and finally, go to the clarinet board and read ALL the posts at:

http://test.woodwind.org/clarinet/BBoard/read.html?f=1&i=256615&t=256615

My opinion on bending (not glissing) is that it is a function of the lower
jaw, embouchure pressure and opening the throat. I do not think the make of
clarinet has much to do with it. But you can always try different horns at
your local music store. If you find one that suits you better, buy it.

With practice and patience, you should be able to bend a single note at
least a half tone down. You can do that with the fingers so try for a
quarter tone bend. (a note between C and Bb as one example).

Also experiment with mouthpieces. What works best for me is a wide lay
mouthpiece, eg. Van Doren 5JB and a #2 & 1/2 reed. But then Kenny Davern did
it much better with the same mouthpiece and a #4 reed. You can also practice
bending a pitch with just the mouthpiece and reed alone by loosening and
tightening the embouchure and moving the lower jaw.

Let me know off list if you want any more information.

Cheers and good luck
Steve Barbone