[Dixielandjazz] Jelly Roll Jazz Band in Napa - Sunday Jan 13th, 2008

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Mon Jan 7 06:57:37 PST 2008

Bob Shoring wrote:

> On Sunday, January 13, 2008, from 1:00 to 5:00 PM, the Napa
> Valley Dixieland Jazz Society invites you to enjoy an
> afternoon of traditional jazz featuring:
>
> Jelly Roll Jazz Band

[snip]

> The lineup of musicians expected to play for us on the 13th include:
>
> Ted Shafer, Leader, on Banjo
> Ken Keeler, Banjo
> Leon Oakley, Cornet
> Manny Alcantar, Trumpet
> Glenn Calkins, Trombone
> Pete Main, Reeds
> Jim O'Briant, Tuba
> Bert Thompson, Drums

I think there's also supposed to be a piano player, and I think it will be
Tom Barnaby.

The six-piece version of the Jelly Roll Jazz Band will also be playing the
night before, on Saturday, January 12, in the banquet room of the Manna Thai
restaurant 414 Ferry St., Martinez, CA.  This is the band's regular weekly
gig, -- we're there every Saturday from 7 PM - 10 PM.

The "usual" personnel for the Saturday gigs are:

Earl Scheelar, cornet
Pete Main, reeds
Glenn Calkins, trombone
Jim O'Briant, tuba
Ted Schafer, banjo
... And any one of several pianists

As many of us have schedule conflicts from time to time, other Bay Area
musicians are there as subs quite often as well.  (For example, I'll miss
January 19 & 25, and someone else will be covering Tuba those nights...)

If you're in the Bay Area, please come here us when your schedule
permits....

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers