[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Choice

David Washburn tootn4u at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 11:07:48 PST 2008

The first thing to check is your instrument itself. If it has been packed
away for some time it may need service. The pads are often attacked by worms
creating obvious leaks. That may solve the "stiff and stuffy" problem.  As
far as brands go, I like like the Leblanc line. As a player and repairman, I
think the Opus II (Roman numeral 2) is among the finest clarinets made. The
bore is large enough for good jazz work but intonation does not suffer. It
has the added left Ab/Eb key. Not needed in most jazz work, but nice to have
for concert work in different keys. I have the Pete Fountain model and its
successor Big Easy. They are larger bore but have tuning issues. There are,
of course, other good brands. I just happen to like this one. I also happen
to be a Leblanc dealer. Feel free to contact me off-list if you have more
questions.

Thanks,
Dave in Dallas