[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Choice

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Sun Jan 6 10:47:10 PST 2008

Zach Keeter wrote, in part:

> I'm really really itching to pick my
> clarinet back [up] so I can play OKOM.
> The horn I have is an intermediate model,
> ... but it feels rather stiff and is hard
>< to "bend" notes and so forth. Any
> recommendations on what make/model would
> be more conducive to what I want to do? ...

Here's what I'd recommend.

First of all, verify with an excellent woodwind repair technician that your
clarinet is in top playing condition -- that none of the pads are worn or in
need of replacement, that all pads are seating correctly, no keys are bent
slightly out of alignment, etc.

You may already know that the instrument is fine, but if it's been sitting
for a while, having it checked over shouldn't be too expensive (a lot less
than the price of a new horn) and may let you correct minor things that
affect playability. An intermediate-level clarinet that's in proper playing
condition probably doesn't need to be replaced.

Assuming the clarinet is in playing condition, then next I'd look at the
mouthpiece and reeds that you're using.  If I recall correctly, the harder
the reed and/or the closer the lay of the mouthpiece, the more difficult it
will be to bend notes.  You don't say whether you've not played at all for a
time, or just not played OKOM for a time, but if you haven't played for
several years, then your embouchure probably isn't as strong as it was, and
you may want to just try a softer reed for a while until the embouchure
musculature gets back into top shape.  If you previously used a very hard
reed with a very close-lay mouthpiece, you might try a softer reed with a
more open mouthpiece to see if this gives you what you need.

The above advice is free, and it comes from a tuba player who hasn't taught
clarinet for more than 30 years, so take that into account as you consider
its value....

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers