[Dixielandjazz] Improving Bookings in '08

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Thu Jan 3 13:36:03 PST 2008

Larry Walton's advice on reviewing last year's booking statistics is right on. I do the same thing every year and base my marketing strategy on the results.

Item number 4 on his list was:

snip-------
4. I need to compile a list of my clients, events and what they paid me so that I won't under charge myself and possibly up the price by a few bucks.
end snip-------

I came to the same conclusion a long time ago, and this year I did something about it. I acquired some "Contact Management" software and entered all my customers for the last 2 years, contract amounts, payment history, contact person, and other relevant information. The software allows me to categorize the customers, such as "Senior Groups", "Past Customers", "Solo Customers", and so on. I can sort the past gigs by any category, and even print labels for mailings (which I've done already).

I keep the software active when my PC is on. If someone calls from, for example, Fairview Resort, I simply click on the "F" tab, and all the past bookings that started with F (including Fairview) pop up on the screen. While I'm making small talk with the customer, I can review their history, which band I used, how long we played, what I charged, whether they are a slow pay, and a lot more. In the past, I had to page through a handwritten note book and seldom could find the notes fast enough. Now, I won't make a mistake on price or hours, since it's all right in front of me.

I highly recommend a system like this. Contact management software is available at most computer stores for about $100. I got a very good package on line for $40. Well worth the price. If anyone is interested in the details on this package, contact me off list.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
www.banjomusic.biz