[Dixielandjazz] I'm Sorry

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 3 13:06:11 PST 2008

Rebecca and DJML--
     Well, as far as i'm concerned, Rebecca had no need to apologize.
I wasn't offended, even though the lack of scintillation in DJML
posts over the last couple of years is in part my fault (were i
capable of scintillation instead of damp tinder), in part the faults
of those who disagree but don't post other points of view.  It also
might be that we don't have as many negative posts as we used to, by
a goodly number of folks (both Jim Beebe and Charlie Hooks could both
dish it out pretty well).
     It also may be that the newness of this medium has lost its
lustre for many, and we have fewer posts from those players or new
listeners who have questions or points of view we might have talked
about years ago.  Basically, we have fewer highs, but also fewer
lows.  A little stagnant.
     What to do?  Well, maybe proselytize a little.  Try to get some
folks from some of those youth-bands in Sacramento to subscribe, and
also from rising stars like Bria Skonberg and Dave Bennett.
     You yourself might drop us a line too, you know, tell us what
you're doing.  For instance, i played a gig here in Austin around
Thanksgiving at a large mall, in a dixieland band, but i had prepared
for playing 4 hours of dixieland tunes, when (duh...) what we
actually played was 4 hours of Christmas tunes, dixieland-style, 90%
of which i didn't know the chords for.  (Not ordinarily something i
would want people to know, but hey, i got paid, and nobody i saw
threw up much.)
     Your turn.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**             "O Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet."
**                     -- St. Augustine (354-430)