[Dixielandjazz] 17 vs 19 fret for ease of chording

Joseph ezola at charter.net
Tue Jan 1 13:45:11 PST 2008

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I play dixieland in a band and notice my bar chords are difficult to play clearly at times. I tune to the guitar, and find my "B" string falls under my knuckle which makes a thud for a note. Chords that sound this way are usually, but not exclusively, on the first fret, such as Ab7 or F7. I try rolling my forefinger but this is difficult and puts a lot of stress on my finger. I play a 17-fret Gooodtime banjo by Deering. Would buying a 19-fret be easier to play? I switched to ghs plectrum light strings. At first this seemed to be easier, but again, the bar chords are "thuds." Any ideas?
Joe