[Dixielandjazz] Playing Along With Recordings

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 11:22:44 PST 2008

As Jamey Aebersold's success as a player (Tenor sax) and as publisher
  of Jazz Studies/Cd's/Play a long recordings  etc. proves , and many on this list agree- playing with recordings is definitely a part of a jazz player's routine.

  Something I have discovered however is that when I make recordings of my efforts to "play a long" if I don't wear headphones to hear the accompaniment, I don't stay with the meter of the tunes. It seems that to merely use speakers and not headphones will introduce this failure in "time."

  Anyone care to comment on this perceived phenomenon?
  Marty Nichols
  Trombone
  Florida
  http://myspace.com/freemarty