[Dixielandjazz] Sextette from Hunger

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 29 20:18:17 PST 2008

Dear Chris,
Thank you for the long and informative summary of the Sextette From
Hunger personnel.
Great stuff.
You're talking my language here!
Regarding George Thow and Joe Yukl's tenure with the Dorsey Bros band
in the mid 1930s.
You've reminded me of a fine small group session they made for Decca in
1936.
I still have my old Australian Decca 78s.
Ray McKinley's Jazz Band with George Thow (t) Joe Yukl (tb) Skeets
Herfurt (cl) Joe Sullivan (p) Slim Jim Taft (sb) and Ray McKinley (d).
Recorded in Los Angeles on 31 March 1936.
"Love in the First Degree/New Orleans Parade/Shack in the Back/Finger
Wave"
I bet me old mate Don Ingle remembers these rare records, only ever
reissued on a English Brunswick LP (playing it now) and long overdue
for reissue on CD. Unless I blinked and missed it.  8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.