[Dixielandjazz] BG's Boys (was Sextette from Hunger )

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 29 19:06:56 PST 2008

Stan Brager wrote:
> I just happened to have selected the Benny Goodman's Boys with Jim and
> Glenn recording of "Wolverine Blues" for a talk I'm giving. Conselman
> played vibes on this cut. He can be heard about 2:14 minutes into the
> recording. Also on this cut was Jimmy McPartland on cornet and Benny's
> brother, Harry, on tuba.

Dear Stan,
The vibes can also be heard in the intro and plays the last note on "A
Jazz Holiday" from this 23 Jan 1928 Chicago session.
Has Bob Con[z]elman's presence ever been verified for this session?
Benny had left Ben Pollack for several months and was with Isham Jones
when the two sides were made. Conzelman was with the Jones' orch at
this time.
All a bit tenuous for, as Chris Tyle indicates, there are no drums to
be heard. The other musicians were Ben Pollack sidemen, so it could be
anyone playing the several vibraphone notes.
Kind regards,
Bill.