[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall Valentine

Steve Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 29 10:23:06 PST 2008

Hi all...

Reminds me of the time I heard a piano player in Denver.  I was waiting in a
hotel, (I won't delve into the reason why...), but I heard a "lobby" piano
player, obviously playing jazz.  I sat there for over an hour and a half and
could NOT tell you the name of even ONE song that he played!  They were all
jazz choruses, with never the tiniest reference to the original tune...
Interesting to say the least, but really strange to my ear...  It was almost
as if he was saying to the people there - "Here, try and guess THIS ONE!"

ALL the Best,
Steve Heist