[Dixielandjazz] improvising

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Fri Feb 29 08:29:04 PST 2008

I have played trumpet for 50 years, and have thought many times about
how to teach someone else how to improvise.   Here is what  I have come
up with: Play a simple tune like Happy Birthday.   If you initially
need the music, ok, but reach a point where you can play it without the
music.  Then, start the song on a different note, and work your way
through it until you can play it in the new key.  play  the same song
in at least 4 keys.   Try Mary Had a Little Lamb.  Do this with lots of
simple "kiddie" tunes.  Holiday tunes like Deck the Halls, folk songs
like Down in the Valley, church tunes like  Lily of The Valley are
excellent, .  Deck the Halls is good because it starts with a simple
scale run.

As I said, play every tune in at least 4 different keys.   Learn your
major and minor scales by memory.

All of this will develop your musical ear, while you try to  find the
right notes.

When you are just listening to songs, and not practicing your trumpet,
try to "la-la-la" your way through the tune, but do something tonally
different, other than what the melody is doing,  You have to teach your
brain to react differently before you can apply the action to your
instrument.

When trying to learn from recordings, listen for 5-10 minutes, then
practice for 5-10 minutes.   Continue
listening/practicing/listening/practicing, etc, for as long as you can
for a session, whether it be for 20 minutes total time, or 3 hours.

As a trumpet player, my solo playing progressed by leaps and bounds as
soon as I started playing a chordal instrument (such as guitar, banjo,
piano, ukelele, accordion).  then I started understanding and hearing
internal notes and understanding the progressions.  Get even a ukelele,
and while you are strumming chords, start making up melodies, and
improvising  (la-la-la  . . . . .).

At home keep your instrument out of the case and ready to grab at a
moment's notice.  You'll be more likely to practice on a regular basis
that way.  Otherwise the addage applies:   out of sight, out of mind.

If you are a serious player, and follow these steps, you should improve
greatly in 6 months.  If you are not serious, quit now and plan for a
career as a listener only.  Serious musicians always need plenty of
listeners. If you plan to be a listener, at least be serious about
that, since the world seems to be lacking people that are serious about
hardly anything.

Here's my rule of thumb - -you almost become an adequate musician when
you can play 200 of the "Standards"  in 2 keys each, with no written
music in front of you.

Buy yourself a single Hal Leonard Play-Along Book and see if it helps.
(He probably has 30-40 different ones).
By yourself practice your guts out.

  Believe it or not, buying a good guitar instruction book, level 1 that
has an instructional Cd included can be helpful because there are
background accompaniments for so many of the simple tunes in trumpet
range, and different keys.  Once again Hal Leonard has one called
"Essential Elements for Guitar" by Will Schmid and Bob Morris that is
very good. You can also use the book to begin your learning the chordal
instrument guitar.  Spend your time doing improv "la-la-la-la-la" with
the tunes in the book. This brings new meaning to the phrase "Gone to
La-La Land"

Put my email address on your calendar for six months from now and let
me know how you progressed.... Or maybe just tell me that you decided
to sell the trumpet.

Regards, and Happy Times,
Bill "it's-all-about-la-la" Sharp