[Dixielandjazz] Sextet from Hunger

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 29 07:11:56 PST 2008

Charles Lavere recorded with Jack Teagarden in 1933, and an intriguing personnel including Jabbo Smith, Preston Jackson and Boyce Brown features in some band recordings under his name from 1935 but only ever issued much later. (I'd like to hear these!).
I believe he was the father of Steve Lavere, whom I looked up on Google -- much to my amusement considering the bold disapproval noted in the first items which cropped up.
He has a lengthy entry in John Chilton's WHO'S WHO OF JAZZ (Storyville to Swing Street)  and this includes reference to the SEXTET FROM HUNGER, the precise origins of this name I do not know but presume related rather to starvation than Budapest.

And he even reached Australia!