[Dixielandjazz] Clarifying question about YouTube videos - "Does anyone know?"

starwater_music starwater at mpinet.net
Thu Feb 28 14:40:27 PST 2008

> From: "Brian Harvey" <brer.rabbit at tiscali.co.uk>
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Does anyone know?
>
> Do any. List-mates know of a computer programme (preferably low cost!)
> that
> can be used to record videos of the type on U-Tube?

I think a point that needs clarifying - do you  mean for downloading from
YouTube or creating a video file to upload to YouTube? Responses I've seen
seem to assume the former but thought I'd ask since you said "record".

As far as downloading from there, YouTube seems to keep changing the way
they have it structured specifically to thwart such efforts, but after the
one I was using Vdownloader stopped working, I found one that works well as
of this writing called save2pc

http://www.save2pc.com

Very simple and straighforard interface, it converts video from YouTube and
other similar sites to various formats. The only one I've personally tried
so far is video from YouTube to avi. There's a free version that works fine
and has a nag screen. There are 2 paid versions which I haven't explored.

Thee's also a site called vixy.net which does the conversion on their end
and then dowloads the file. It was still working the last time I checked
though it seemed to be somewhat hit and miss since whatever recent changes
they made to YouTube.

Another option is finding the .flv files that YouTube deposits on your h/d
when you watch from the YouTube site, probably in the Temporary Internet
files folder and play them with an .flv player or convert them to avi with
an .flv converter.

HTH

Robert Pulliam