[Dixielandjazz] Help for improvising

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 28 12:54:33 PST 2008

> "Berl" <berl at sti.net>
>
> I could use some help. I play trumpet and I want to learn to
> improvise. I am not a great reader.
> In practicing I have been jumping around and getting nowhere.
> Can you guide me in how to organize and set up a practice routine.
> What to practice  How to practice
> I listen to a lot of CD's then get confused on how to improvise.
> I'm struggling and seem to be hitting my head against the wall.
> any suggestions please.
> Thank You
> Berl Howell

Dear Berl:

See  http://www.aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Note Dan Haerle's Book "Jazz Improvisation". That's a good place to
start, but just below it note the CD and accompanying booklet "How to
Play Jazz and Improvise." That's a great place to start IMO. (Vol1)
Also note the DVD "Anyone can Improvise" and the Vol 24 CD and booklet
"Major and Minor."

These will provide you with a great amount of information, play along
CDs, minus your instrument, and scales & chords to practice. The
routines you seek are all there.

You don't have to be a great reader to take advantage of these
teaching aids. And if you spend the time absorbing and playing along
with the CDs, and following the practice routines, you'll learn how to
improvise.

Once you have mastered the routines, then go on to the more advanced
play along CDs and keep improving. The goal should be, IMO, to be able
to improvise over all of them by ear, recognizing the chord/scale/key
relationships instantly.

Cheers & Good Luck,
Steve Barbone