[Dixielandjazz] Musical non-readers, can you add to the list?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Feb 24 17:04:04 PST 2008

LW- That's very true around here too but getting them together is like herding cats.

My bands have to play with fire and spunk and vitality . . . real enthusiasm and, well, youthful energy.

LW- I talk to my people about musical energy and I think they are ready for another round of that.  I can really tell when it's not there.

In my town, almost, not all, but almost every guy who knows the tunes plays like "The Ol' Grey Mare Just Ain't What He Used To Be"

LW - a lot of that is a state of mind.  Personally I play better around better musicians but I know that's not always the case with everyone.  There comes a point when guys just seem to go over  the hill but again that's a state of mind that doesn't necessarily have to happen.  When that energy is there I play better and that's something I want to do.  I like this music business and I want to keep at it as long as I can.  We just got a new Trombone player.  He has been with several other very good bands and I hope he sticks.  It makes a big difference when your horns start to sync.  He's been off for a couple of months and needs to work up his chops but the ideas are there and he likes playing so that's a real plus.  I look forward to the band moving up a notch with him there.
Larry