[Dixielandjazz] Musical non-readers, can you add to the list?

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Sun Feb 24 15:31:11 PST 2008

<<There is another side of this too Bill.  That's the  audience.  So far I
have
rebuffed the idea of playing for the local  jazz club because they are not
nice to bands that read.  I have found  that it's safest to have charts but
then the problem becomes the older  jazzers just don't want to (or can't )
read.  These are the guys that  will tear your socks off while others just
play notes.

So far the  transition to charts hasn't totally taken place but like I said
before I  think that my age group is on the border line and when we go there
will be  very few players who can improv and know lots of tunes.  I think the

border line and transition point is the baby boomers and I came along just
before then.
Larry

I've been very fortunate. I've found guys who play fantastic jazz, and the
tune and structure well, if they've got a lead sheet. And I do mean play GREAT,
 frankly better than most you'll hear at the festivals.

Many times I have bands where it's mixed . . . maybe only one or two using  a
lead sheet and the others without the need for it.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

My bands have to play with fire and spunk and vitality . . . real  enthusiasm
and, well, youthful energy.

If the only guys who I can find to play without charts are guys who really
can't play anymore, well, I'll take the lead sheets every time.

In my town, almost, not all, but almost every guy who knows the tunes  plays
like "The Ol' Grey Mare Just Ain't What He Used To Be"

Bill
414-777-0100
BillSargentBands.com

Just released:  "The Best Of Bill Sargent Bands - Volume 1"

Available at:  http://billsargentbands.com/recordings.htm

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)