[Dixielandjazz] Last Night's BBC Broadcast

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 24 06:15:35 PST 2008

Hi Folks,
We were inundated with e-mails at the Beeb last night when I appeared on
Paul Barnes Gold For Grown-ups show, which was broadcast througout the
Eastern region on air and world wide on the web. It is availble to
download until next Saturday at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/norfolk/aod.shtml?norfolk/paul_barnes_norfolk

As well as listeners throughout the UK we had e-mails from the USA,
Australia and Finland praising the show.

There is a photo from the studio on my web site www.traditional-jazz.com.

We discussed and played a lot of OKOM, discussing jazz drumming and jazz
singing. The programme included Lee Wiley with Billy Butterfield and
Eddie Condon, Baby Dodds with Albert Nicholas, Wellman Braud and Art
Hodes, Bing Crosby with Duke Ellington and Joe Sullivan, George Chisholm
with his Jive 8 and Fats Waller, The Orginal Dixieland Jazz Band in 1938
- 2 versions of Tiger Rag, 1 with the quintet 1 with the big band. Gene
Krupa's style was demonstrated  with Gene's Solo Flight from 1957.
There was also a mini feast of Rex Stewart with Ellington and McKinney's
Cotton Pickers, Jess Stacy Orch, Nat Cole, Nina Simone, Campbell Burnap,
Bob Crosby and much more.

Paul also pulled out the trio CD I did with Art Hodes in 1987 and played
Dear Old Southland and also two tracks from my latest CD - the title
track, Sing Sing Sing and Special Delivery Stomp.

I was supposed to be there for about an hour and a half but ended up
staying for the entire 3 hours - we were having so much fun.

This was a real opportunity to present hot jazz in a positive and
constructive light to a potentially very large audience indeed.

If you did or do listen and enjoy the show you could do Paul Barnes and
our music a great service by e-mailing BBC Radio Norfolk  email:
norfolk at bbc.co.uk and telling them you enjoyed it.
The network station, BBC Radio Four presents a show called Pick Of The Week
e-mail potw at bbc.co.uk  you might consider dropping them a line and
suggest they might play a section of the programme. There is also
Feedback on BBC Radio 4 and comments about the show can be addresssed to
them at Feedback PO Box 2100
London W1A 1QT
Phone: 0870 803 4544
or email: feedback at bbc.co.uk

If you enjoyed Sing Sing Sing, Dear Old Southland or Special Delivery
Stomp you may like to make a request to Jazz Recod Requests on BBC Radio
Three mailto:jazz.record.requests at bbc.co.uk

Keep swinging

John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com