[Dixielandjazz] Brubeck reading music

ballen ballen at deltapathology.com
Fri Feb 22 08:23:02 PST 2008

Get "This Is Your Brain On Music". It describes how notation is completely
at odds with how we experience music, thus many excellent musicians read
poorly or not at all.

The best example is so-called "perfect pitch". Very few people can actualy
sing a note as directed. But a study was done in which average "joes" with
NO musical training were asked to sing a pop melody (one with only one
widely heard version; not "Star Spangled Banner" or "Happy Birthday".) The
best was "Like a Virgin" because it was popular at the time and there are no
other versions in other keys or tempi. Most people could sing the song VERY
CLOSELY TO EXACT PITCH and even pretty closely to recorded tempo. In fact,
with some of the subjects, tapes of them singing unaccompanied as tested
could be played alongside the original version wiith almost a complete
match! So the conclusion was that our standard notation is at odds with how
we actually percieve/experience music.

By the way, the author is a musician, a producer who later got a PhD in
psychology. He uses EVERY STYLE OF MUSIC as illustrations, from Ravel to the
Stones to Monk.