[Dixielandjazz] [!! SPAM] Re: Tax deductions

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Feb 21 21:42:07 PST 2008

You should have gotten a whole lot more assuming it was business rather than
volunteer.  They even had a change that increased it somewhere in the middle
of the year.  I'm not exactly sure what it was but it was somewhere very
close to 48 cents a mile.  Which should come to about $175 in deductions
which reduces the 15% SS you pay and at least 10% bracket to the IRS and in
my state another 7% to the state so it's not just a small deduction by the
time everything is figured in.  So you should have gotten about 25-30% of
that back.  In my case it was in the neighborhood of 4000 miles for both of
my businesses which is a pretty big chunk of change.

Schedule A rips you off pretty good if that's where you put it.  That's the
only place it can go if you aren't claiming business income.