[Dixielandjazz] Credibility

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sat Feb 16 04:34:34 PST 2008

Hi Bruce,

Actually, in that same concert I also played the tenor banjo part for
Rhapsody in Blue. Yes, it was a real scored part in standard notation,
chords spelled out with notes on the staff. The part as written could only
be played on a tenor banjo (or other stringed instrument tuned as a tenor
banjo). The part was very specific, and in "concert" keys containing
multiple sharps and flats that us poor jazz players tend to shy away from. I
never saw any black keys on a banjo, after all!

I had to spend many hours figuring out how to match my fingers to the notes
on the pages, but eventually got it done.

So far I have never heard of any other classical pieces with tenor banjo
parts, but that certainly does not mean there aren't any.

Good luck!

Elazar