[Dixielandjazz] Credibility

Bruce Stangeland stangeland at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 17:25:07 PST 2008

Elazar,

Thanks for mentioning that you played Gershwin with the Jerusalem
Symphony. It gives me a chance to say I have enjoyed playing my tenor
banjo in three concert series with the Contra Costa Chamber Orchestra:
Gershwin's "I Got Plenty o' Nothin'", Kurt Weill's "Three-Penny Opera",
and William Grant Still's "Symphony No. 1, Afro-American Symphony".

It was great fun sitting with the other black-tie-wearing musicians
trying to not loose count of all my resting measures.
The classically trained musicians said they enjoyed the sound of the
banjo. Several even jammed with me before the concerts.

If you know of any other symphonic music scored for tenor banjo, please
let me know. I'd like to expand my very limited repertoire.

Regards,
Bruce Stangeland
Berkeley banjoist

Message: 1