[Dixielandjazz] chops

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Feb 16 02:01:16 PST 2008

So, we got some information from some "classical" trombonists who like the
product mentioned, and Steve, a clarinetist is going to rush out & buy it?

I mentioned earlier that most trombonist's "chops problems" are going to be
on the inside of the lip.  Then, we heard from two clarinetists who spoke of
chapped lips...something a brass player doesn't normally suffer from (& I
live in the middle of a desert called the Iberian Peninsula!).

Two problems here:  first we are taking our clue from classical musicians.
I know it's not necessarily the norm, but the last classical gig I heard (a
Spanish opereta called a Zarazuela) the trombonist (in the pit) read a book
for the first 10 minutes, then carefully picked up his horn and played a low
F quarter note.  The horn then went back on the stand, and he picked up his
book.  He continued that way more or less thru the whole evening.  No wonder
he might need chapstick!!    :>  Bit of a different story for us jazz
trombones on a gig!

Secondly, there seems to be an argument here that we (brass & reeds) might
suffer the same kinds of lip tortures.  Not true.  I gather when Larry spoke
of a "split lip", he was referring to dried outer lips that split open (I
may be wrong, tho).  When a brass player speaks of a split lip, he is
discussing the painful ripping of the inside of his lip where no type of
chapstick is going to help.

Rest, as Mr. Hanson mentioned, is the cure.  If your gigs don't allow a few
days off, then you just grit & bare it. No miracle products here.  Keep your
chops up in between gigs with practice is the best advice, and have a nice
glass of wine with the $4.50 saved on the chapstick!  (Yes, you CAN buy a
good glass, or even a bottle! for that here in Spain!)

I realize that the original question was "has anybody tried it"?  Curiously
enough, no one on our list has, it would seem, and several music shop people
said it wasn't a big seller.  Good enough polling there for me, without
having to go out of our environment & ask the classical musicians.

Jim