[Dixielandjazz] Names From My Past-- Loooong Past

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 15:21:09 PST 2008

Recent posts have mentioned some names that take me waaaaay back
  to the days when I played trombone in the DC/Annapolis/VA area.

  Both Hennig Hoene (clar), and Jay Wachter (bnjo) sat in with the band at Buzzy's Pizza Warehouse in Annapolis during the time I led the band there (1968-69.) John Skillman (clar-bnjo) who is now with "Buck Creek" was in my band when we replaced the guys from  the Navy Band who were ordered not to "moonlight" there anymore. There were many great musos that played with me (including "Wild Bill" Whelan-cnt) and after I left to go to Japan with the Army the band stayed on for several more years until Buzzy's closed down. My trumpet man for most of my time at Buzzy's was Howard Waters (deceased), the author of the only discography of Jack Teagarden. It is now out of print. I had the great fortune to recently meet his son Crick Waters on line. Crick said he has only one copy of the book remaining.

  I recently found a site called "e-snips" that is like myspace, and I uploaded a live performance in which I sing and play "Rosetta." Turn up your sound but watch out for the over recorded tuba.

Gerald M."Marty" Nichols
  Hear Me  Play Trombone On "New Orleans" at
  http://myspace.com/freemarty And
  Hear Me Sing "Rosetta" at
http://www.esnips.com/web/JazzTrombone