[Dixielandjazz] Credibility

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Feb 14 21:07:38 PST 2008

 >> "Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis" wrote (polite snip)
>>

>> On the other hand your resume is worth dollars and cents when it  comes
>> advertising and the general public.  Personally I use everything I  have
>> sell myself.
(snip)

Steve Barbone answered:

> That pretty much nails it shut Larry. One of the big problems with
> perception in life is relatively simple to overcome. IMO, if you do  not
> define yourself, others, most of whom who do not know what you are  about,
> will define you in their terms. As a result, you get defined  wrongly.
> Happens all the time in music, in politics, you name it.  Bottom line,
> list all of you accomplishments, don't be shy about with  whom you've
> played etc., etc., etc. Especially on your advertising,  your web site,
> what ever goes to people who do not know you.

(snip)

IMO- Both Larry and Steve are completely right here.  They are talking about
advertizing and promoting yourself to the general public and/or clients.

However, let me say again, the original post by Jim Kash that started this
thread was not talking about advertizing.  As I understand it, and Jim can
certainly correct me if I am wrong, he was talking about promoting ones self
to friends, fellow musicians such as possibly other DJML members.

For instance, trying to impress ones felow musicians with the names you have
sat in with doesn't make it.  There is an old expression,

"You can't shit an old shitter."

Steve continues:

  >  Best example IMO is trombonist Herb Gardner's web site list of
> people whom who he has worked as a featured jazz soloist: Now this may  be
> name dropping to some, so be it.
(snip)

Again, IMO- This is not name droppping.  First of all it is advertizing.
Secondly, it is obvious that a musician of his caliber has played with and
been featured with the names he has on his list.  This is believeable...

I for instance, when speaking with a client who knows who Bobby Hackett is,
might mention that I played with him.  If I am hussling a gig, I might
neglect to tell him that it was a jam session type situation.  I was not
hired by Bobby, or anyone else to play with him.

 I think what Jim was trying to say was that possibly stretching the truth
to a client is one thing, but bragging to your piers (who know better) is
something else.

Jim, please correct me if I am wrong.

--Bob Ringwald