[Dixielandjazz] Credibility

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 14 19:40:45 PST 2008

> "Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis" wrote (polite snip)
>

> On the other hand your resume is worth dollars and cents when it
> comes to
> advertising and the general public.  Personally I use everything I
> have to
> sell myself.  While I may not have the same, or as good as, or as
> many as
> someone else I play what I do have to the hilt.  Does it work?  You
> bet it
> does.  It translates into making more money per gig and more gigs.
> I can
> site exact instances.

That pretty much nails it shut Larry. One of the big problems with
perception in life is relatively simple to overcome. IMO, if you do
not define yourself, others, most of whom who do not know what you are
about, will define you in their terms. As a result, you get defined
wrongly. Happens all the time in music, in politics, you name it.
Bottom line, list all of you accomplishments, don't be shy about with
whom you've played etc., etc., etc. Especially on your advertising,
your web site, what ever goes to people who do not know you.

  Best example IMO is trombonist Herb Gardner's web site list of
people whom who he has worked as a featured jazz soloist: Now this may
be name dropping to some, so be it.  But I sure as hell wish I had
these guys on my website or resumes. And I sure wish I had played with
all of them. They are an indicator of the breadth of Herb's experience
in jazz as well as an indicator of the breadth of his own jazz
accomplishments. And, as I see it, if Herb chooses to define himself
to those who don't know him, or haven't heard him, by naming those
with whom he has played, that's fine with me.

IMO,  most DJML list members probably don't know who Herb Gardner is,
and/or have never heard him play. And they surely know less about you
or I or most of the musicians on this list who are a notch or two
below him. So if you have similar experiences, I think it is wise to
point them out.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Herb Gardner's list of those with whom he has performed in a featured
soloist role:

TRUMPET:
Roy Eldridge  Wild Bill Davison  Henry Red Allen  Yank Lawson  Bobby
Hackett  Wingy Manone
Ruby Braff  Doc Cheatham  Rex Stewart  Charlie Shavers  Herman Autrey
Emmet Berry Ray Nance  Shorty Baker  Pee Wee Irwin  Chris Griffin
Jimmy Maxwell Max Kaminsky Snooky Young Bernie Privin Billy
Butterfield Wynton Marsalis Spanky Davis Jimmy McPartland Clark Terry
Johnny Windhurst Mel Davis Don Goldie Jim Cullum Randy Reinhart Jon-
Erik Kellso Randy Sandke Joe Ferrante Glenn Zottola Johnny Letman Dick
Sudhalter Ernie Carson Peter Eklund Tom Pletcher Bob Millikan Benny
Ventura Duke Heitger Connie Jones Brian Lynch

TROMBONE:
Vic Dickenson Benny Morton Cutty Cutshall John Allred Bill Allred Dan
Barrett Tom Artin
Speigel Wilcox George Masso Dick Rath Art Baron Ed Hubble Joel
Helleney Marshall Brown
Frank Orchard Jim Fryer

CLARINET:
Johnny Mince Pee Wee Russell Tony Parenti Kenny Davern Bob Wilber
Edmond Hall Herb Hall Stan Rubin Ken Peplowski Sol Yaged Bobby Gordon
Joe Muranyi Allan Vache Dan Levinson Joe Licari Dan Block Russ Whitman
Orange Kellin Paul Hubble

SAXOPHONES:
Al Cohn Benny Carter Eddie Barefield Earl Warren Harry Allen Scott
Hamilton Al Klink Bob Kindred
Al Gallidoro Dean Kincaide Sam Parkins Sam Margolis Rudy Powell Scott
Robinson Eddie Chamblee Don Glasser Mike Hashim Mark Lopeman Chuck
Wilson Ted Nash

PIANO:
Dave Frishberg Dave McKenna Claude Hopkins Cliff Jackson Dick
Wellstood Ray Bryant John Bunch Marion McPartland Butch Thompson Art
Hodes Bernie Leighton Eddie Wilcox Marty Napoleon Joe Raposo Sammy
Price Dill Jones Mark Shane John Sheridan Terry Waldo Henry Thins
Francis Chuck Folds Red Richards Tom Roberts Robin Verdier Bob
Pilsbury Dave Boeddinghaus Keith Ingham Cyril Haynes Bobby Pratt John
Harbison

BASS:
Arvell Shaw Milt Hinton Gene Ramey Bob Haggart Theo Wilson Keeter
Betts Al Hall Major Holley Vince Giordano Billy Krank Bill Crow Linc
Milliman Mike Weatherly Bill Conway Frank Tate Jay Leonhart Greg Cohen
Brian Glassman

GUITAR:
Eddie Condon Carl Kress Howard Alden Al Casey Wayne Wright Marty Grosz
Frank Vignola James Chirillo Joe Cohn Jimmy Mazzy Matt Munisteri Chris
Flory

DRUMS:
Gene Krupa Jake Hanna Cliff Leeman Buzzy Drootin Eddie Locke Connie
Kay Panama Francis Jackie Williams Mousey Alexander Freddy Moore Tommy
Benford Barrett Deems Sonny Greer Gus Johnson Zutty Singleton Alan
Dawson Johnny Blowers Morey Feld Bobby Rosengarden Butch Miles Brooks
Tegler Chuck Riggs Robbie Scott

SINGERS:
Jimmy Rushing Helen Humes Carrie Smith Maxine Sullivan Banu Gibson
Terry Blaine
Carol Leigh Paula Lockheart Cynthia Sayer Judy-Marie Canterino Linda
Ipanema