[Dixielandjazz] Chaotic e-mails

Snogpitch snogpitch at prodigy.net
Thu Feb 14 06:24:05 PST 2008

I think what some of you folks didn't notice was the comment that he is using a
library computer.  Assuming he doesn't work at the library, he is using a
public computer, rather than a personal computer.  A web based email is
probably what he is using, rather than an email program.

I am replying this email via web mail, and several things need to be set up to
make email look sensible to me, and others as well.  Fortunately plain text is
an option here.  I choose 80 column width, to make it easy for printouts for
me, also a drawback to my Commodore 64 days using PINE on the UNIX servers of
the day.  The default for my web based email is only 55 column.

The options he has with his email can be limited, but there should be something
available.  Short of that, what Andy indicated would help a lot.  Hitting
return after each line at a given length might be a pain, but it also might be
a necessary step based on the editing options available.  Also I would
recommend deleting anything of the original posting being replied to, as it is
hopelessly lost in the reformatting of the message at the other end.

To me that looks like an issue with word wrap and reformatting paragraphs,
which sometimes helps, but most of the time doesn't.  Frankly, a whole email
reply doesn't need to have everything from the previous reply, like what Dick
snipped.

Seems to me this problem comes up every couple years.  Last time I remember the
subscriber had to change his email provider in order to get things looking
right again.  That can be a pain if you let folks know of your email address
already, then to turn around and let folks know you changed it just a couple
months later.

--- Dick Sleeman <dick at sleeman.nl> wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>
> > I think if you hit the Return/Enter key a few more times rather than
> > relying on the line wrapping of whatever email program you
> > are using, it would make things a little easier.
> >
> > The problem is that the DJML is all "plain text" this means all
> > the fancy formatting information about what font to use
> > and how long to make the lines gets lost. So you have
> > to put it all in by hand.
>
> Other email programs will have comparable options.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dick Sleeman

David Witmer

AKA Snogpitch