[Dixielandjazz] Great trombonists

Steve Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 13 09:48:17 PST 2008

Thanks - Yes, Dave Ruffner - aggressive and VERY talented...  sorry for the
confusion...
The great Sammy Gardner passed away - a result no doubt, in my mind, of
drinking about a quart of Jack Daniels a day...  But BOY what a talent!  The
perfect fusion of passion AND extrodinary ability...!  I used to listen to
him with my jaw on the floor - (Did you ever listen to somebody with SO much
concentration, because they were spectacular, and FORGET to play???
Happened many times with my "mentors" in St. Louis....)
Sorry to bring belated bad tidings...
He left us along with (a few years later) Don Gumpert (trumpet), whose wife
Sandy is still on the list (Hi, Sandy)
ALL the Best,
Steve Heist