[Dixielandjazz] Herb Gardner

John McClernan mcclernan1 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 12 05:52:10 PST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 4:03 AM, Jim Kashishian wrote:

> I like to say I'm the best trombonist in the Canal Street Jazz Band
> (there's
> only me!).  I can't make any other claims.  I can only do the best
> I can do
> (& try to make it better).
>
> Jim

Jim,
This one particular club owner, for whom I worked 17 summers, liked
to rib new musicians on their first night . He would tell them that
they sounded great, and in fact were the second-best __________ (fill
in the instrument) player ever to play in his club.
Of course, the new guy would ask excitedly, "Really? Who's the best?"
The owner would say, as he walked away laughing, "All the rest."
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Cheers,
John