[Dixielandjazz] Herb Gardner

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Feb 12 01:03:12 PST 2008

 Marty Nichols wrote:
  No one qualifies as "the finest OKOM trombonist alive in the world
today"..........

I almost wrote exactly the same thing, Marty, but decided not to bother at
the time.  Now, your post has prompted me to agree.  But, it's not just
"trombonist".  Since personal tastes come into our own opinions, it is
difficult to say who is "best" at anything.  And, who cares?  Better to say
how much you enjoy "so & so", or you gotta hear "so & so".

I never liked the competition we had in the junior & high school bands,
where someone below you could "challenge you" for your chair.  I always
thought it was silly.  What accounts for "better or best"?  In the case of
the schools, couldn't the bandleader have sorted out the chairs without
creating the competition thing?

I like to say I'm the best trombonist in the Canal Street Jazz Band (there's
only me!).  I can't make any other claims.  I can only do the best I can do
(& try to make it better).

Jim